Celebrating Kim from At Home with Kim Vallée
Last Friday, we celebrated Kim Vallée’s birthday at her home. Kim is the well known blogger behind the accclaimed blog At Home with Kim Vallée
Jérôme is a lucky man. Every year is wife Kim, a lifestyle consultant and famous blogger, organizes the best parties ever for his birthdays. This year, he wanted to return the favour and organize her a birthday party.
He called me to see if I could team up with him to organize it and I was delighted to work with him on this event. We had very little time to plan it, as it was happening a week after they got back from a trip to Japan. With just couple of days in front of us, we had to make it simple to organize and split the tasks to be efficient. I took care of organizing the welcoming cocktail, the caterer, the flower arrangements and made a list of what we needed to get for that evening. Jérôme ran all the errands, picked up the alcohol and ice for the beverage station, ordered the birthday cake and set up the tables the day of the event.
As Kim loves beautiful and stylish things, we opted to work with Avocado, a caterer from Montreal, who has a reputation for being innovative. Having seen what they had done before, I was impressed with the choices offered and the food presentation. Everything they make is beautifully presented and taste wonderfully good! I worked with Bruno from Avocado who sent me a menu adapted to our needs. We wanted to have cold finger food we could serve to our guests. From a choice of 20 appetizers, I chose 10 that would please the guests: 8 were tasty savoury morsels and 2 were sweet creations, some were even created just for that evening. As a nice touch, the food was delivered by Chef Louis Roy-Potvin who set it up and took the time to explain us everything we were about to eat. It was cool, as Kim took this opportunity to make a short video with Chef Louis Roy-Potvin from Avocado. In addition to what we ordered from the caterer, Jérôme had bought cheese, pâtés and a variety of bread, and a beautiful cake made especially for Kim. We also welcomed guests with a special cocktail made of Champagne and Wild Hibiscus Confit served in flutes.
The flower arrangements for the evening were provided by the talented Geneviève Lamarre from Oxide Design. We worked on a theme of “green” with apple blossoms. The quintet of vases worked beautifully on the table. The idea for the blossoms was to remember Kim of her recent visit to Japan’s cherry blossom’s festival As they are difficult to find here, we opted for apple blossoms.
The evening was a success and Kim was happy with our ideas. Here are some images of the evening:
Here was our Canapés menu prepared by the team at Avocado:
- Asperge vapeur en croûte de jersey deu Fjord du Saguenay et canneberges séchées (asparagus wrapped in melted Fjord du Saguenay cheese with dried cranberries)
- Gratin d’aubergines et poivrons rôtis à la Tomme des demoiselles, pousses d’amarante rouge et sel de Camargue (eggplant with roasted red peppers with Tomme des demoiselles cheese, red amaranthus sprouts and salt from Camargue)
- Pois verts à la menthe, noix de cajou grillées sur phyllo au miel (green peas with mint, roasted cashews and honey phyllo pastry)
- Langue de dragon (special sushi)
- Tartare de pétoncles aux épices à tourtières sur riz croustillant au mirin (scallop tartare with meat pie spices on mirin crispy rice cake)
- Saumon grillé, purée d’avocat aux fruits de mer et citron confit (grilled salmon with avocado purée mixed with seafood and lemon confit)
- Tataki de boeuf aux épices berbères et shiitake mariné, pousses de coriandre (Beef tataki with moroccan spices, marinated shiitake mushrooms and coriander sprouts)
- Gravlax de bison à la Chartreuse, confiture de coing et friture d’échalottes (Buffalo gravlax marinated in Chartreuse, served with quince jam and fried shallots)
- Mousses de chocolat blanc à la vanille tahitienne sur cake de courgette et pistaches givrées (white chocolate mousse perfumed with Tahitian vanilla, served on zucchini cake and frosted pistachios)
- Prunes pochées au tonka sur carré de rice crispies au café et cacao (poached prunes in Tonka, served on Coffee and Cocoa rice crispies)
Credits and sources